Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Scandal At Catholic Register Over Biography Of Pro Abort And Hollywood Advertising

Vox Cantor gives details.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, there was a venerable Catholic newspaper owned by the Archdiocese of Toronto known as the Catholic Register.

I admit, that I have not subscribed in at least a decade and given the current editorial standards, I don't see subscribing at any time in the new future. After the Rev. Carl Matthews, S.J. was sacked by our Cardinal for an editorial on, if I recall, Meech Lake (only politically neurotic Canadians would remember this) I let my subscription lapse.

Hmmm...seems a precedent has been set.

Clearly, this is an area that maybe our new Archbishop needs to address.
Browsing through the new website this morning, I was struck by two matters that give "scandal."

The first is a review of a book on the life of the late Canadian writer Margaret Laurence. Now, I am not going to judge Ms Laurence's literary prowess. But I want to know why a leading advocate of abortion in Canada should have the benefit of a biography promoted in a Catholic newspaper?

Before one argues freedom of the press, we are not talking here of the secular media. The Catholic Register is owned by the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation for the Archdiocese of Toronto. It is a Catholic paper and should be speaking with a Catholic voice.

Would that the Catholic Register had seen as an example that of St. Louis' Archbishop Raymond Burke to understand my logic.


Click through on the link and read the rest.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>